"...the preaching of the cross...is the power of God"
1 Corinthians 1:18
Pastor Ron Burnet was called to the Silvis Heights Baptist Church in March of 2011. He and his wife, Vicki, have dedicated themselves to serve the church faithfully.
Pastor Ron was born in Sterling, Illinois. He grew up in Des Moines, Iowa where he graduated from Des Moines East High School. He attended Faith Baptist Bible College in Ankeny, Iowa, graduating with a BA in Bible Studies in 1971 and a BA of Theology in 1972. Following graduation he served a one year Pastoral Apprenticeship at the Olivet Baptist Church of Westwood, Kansas. Pastor Burnet has served three other churches in his 39 years of pastoral ministry: Rustic Hills Baptist Church, Colorado Springs, CO, 1973-1992; Immanuel Baptist Church, Newton, IA, 1992-2000; Berean Baptist Church, Bunker Hill, IL, 2000-2010.
Vicki was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa. She grew up in the community of Pilot Mound, IA and is a graduate of Grand Community High School. She attended the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, IA and Faith Baptist Bible College.
The Lord has blessed Pastor Ron and Vicki with six children: John (Nicole) of Littleton, CO: Sara (Nathan) of Cazenovia, IL; Joel (Karen) of La Crosse, WI; Tim (Brandi) of Bunker Hill, IL; Ben (Becky) of Carpentersville, IL and Christian (Sara) of Bunker Hill, IL. The Burnet's also have ten grandchildren.
In April 2013 the congregation of Silvis Heights Baptist Church changed its name to Crosstown Baptist Church. Nevertheless the rich heritage of the church remains the same.
The Silvis Heights Baptist Church has its roots in a family by the name of Swanson. Reuben and Hazel Swanson were active members of the First Baptist Church of Silvis. Reuben and Glen Swanson together owned a farm in what would become the Silvis Heights area. Burdened to reach the youth of this new area with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mrs. Reuben Swanson started Bible classes in her home. The classes were held in the evening and enrollment soon reached the nineties. It became evident that there was a need for a Bible-believing church in Silvis Heights.
On May 1, 1938, Rev. John Rader from the First Baptist Church of Silvis, appointed a committee to investigate the need of this area. On March 2, 1939, the First Baptist Church of Silvis endorsed the project of starting a Sunday School Mission on South 19th Street. The ministry in the Silvis Heights area continued to grow. On January 3, 1943 the chapel, as it was called in those days, was organized into a Regular Baptist Church. Rev. Fred Lammert was called as its first pastor in January of the same year.
Through the ministry of the Crosstown Baptist Church, many people have been reached with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The church has been used of the Lord to help establish other Bible-believing churches in the Quad Cities area. Several men from the church have been called of the Lord to enter the ministry of the Gospel.
The Crosstown Baptist Church is an independent fundamental Baptist Church in fellowship regionally with the Illinois-Missouri Association of Regular Baptist Churches and nationally with the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches.
Our Church's History